Tuesday, January 22, 2008

An open letter to...erm... Everyone.

People, I am begging you to spend some time perusing the closest thesaurus, dictionary, encyclopedia or perhaps a few "Dixie Cups" to find some new words. Here are the things people say that seriously irritate me and I feel the need to spout off about.

"My Bad" ... STOP IT! It's not cute or funny. Its ignorant.

"Ghetto" ... To anyone under the age of 30... not everything is "ghetto." Cease and desist immediately with describing everything that is of middling or poor quality as being "ghetto." Ignoring the fact that it is mildly offensive, it is also indicative of lazy thinking. It isn't really a good metaphor. Or kenning, as the case may be. . Or may I suggest using it sparingly if you simply cannot help yourself.

"I could care less" ... Repeat that statement in your head a few times and think about it. Go ahead... I'll wait. . . . . . . . . . Are you comprehending this? If you are attempting to show your disdain for someone or some thing, saying you COULD care less does not quite hit the mark. Think before you speak.

"Irregardless" ... Seriously. Think for yourselves. Yes, you may have heard this word being bandied about, but this does not mean you need to use it in conversation as well. It's not truly a word. It's not a word that makes any sense if you break it down to its true forms. It is an un-word. Don't use it. Seriously. I will slap you with something large, ouchy and bappy if you feel the need to try and use this pompous sounding word in my presence.

Trust me... there's more, but I have to get ready for work.

Another day, another Grammatical issue I despise...

Your vs. You're. This pisses me off. I'm not kidding. "You're" is basically You Are. "Your" is "That belongs to you". SO ... class... If you want to, say, go on a forum and tell people you dislike them because their mental aptitude is sub-par.... saying "Your all a bunch of idiots! You should get you're heads examined!" is bad. Bad poster, Bad Poster!! *slaps you with a newspaper*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one you must add. Myself. People use this incorrectly all the time. Example: The incorrect usage of this word drives my husband and myself crazy! Or even better: The incorrect usage of this word drives myself and my husband crazy!

Jenna Taylor said...

heh.... ack. I have to say I had to read that a few times. Then I went in and did a search on my blog post to make sure I hadn't actually typed that.

You may be even picker than ...myself! I salute you!

Georgia said...

Ugh. I agree.

http://locus.forestninja.net/2008/12/15/when-in-doubt-bs-your-way-out/


P.S. My captcha word for this comment was "juvies" ...lol random.

Best Advocate In India said...

Thanks for this article, very nice.