Sunday, December 23, 2007

Why is common courtesy so difficult?

How is it that people can be SO totally lacking in common courtesy? It's called "common" courtesy because it's common. As in "widespread; general; ordinary:"

I have a great place, beautiful architecture, tons of room, decent price... but unfortunately the worst parking situation on the planet.

There are exactly 7 spots. Each spot is assigned to one of the 4 apartments. Mine being the largest, I get two spots. This means no Holiday parties or get-together, since I cannot in good conscious have people over and then ask them to park on Concord Street. Because of this, we are very conscious of parking closely and making sure everyone else has room to get in and out. I've made sure that my daughters boyfriend (who is typically the occupant of my second parking spot) knows to park close and carefully.

Yet several times I've come home and found someone in my second parking space (typically someone visiting the other apartments). It really seriously pisses me off. Why is it that I can be careful and considerate of the other parking lot occupants, and the others who live here cannot?

Tonight I came home fairly late after catching a movie (National Treasure 2 rocks, btw) to find some huge ass truck parked in my main spot. My alternate spot was already occupied by the kids fella, so I sat out in my car honking my horn (futilely) waiting for someone to notice and send their friend out to move their truck. Nothing. No one came out. So I said Screw it and parked my car right up behind the truck. To say I parked close would be an understatement. Because of where my parking space is there was no way anyone was getting out. BUT.. since I had already brought up to the old guy that manages the apartments in my landlords absence that I find my spot gone often, and he said "Yeah, that happens" without much remorse or advice, I decided that causing a parking catastrophe would be just fine.

About 45 minutes later someone rang my bell. I went out and the guy was apologetic about being parked there and asked if I would move my car. I said sure and grabbed my coat ( was going to blast the guy, but since he was all apologetic I figured why make it worse)

I went out and there was a bunch of the typical young bar fly type guys. You know, all baseball cap wearin' tough guys that probably think they're bad-assed. I jump in my car, shut the door and start to put the key in when my car suddenly lurches. Yanno why? The fuck-wits started backing up without giving me 3 seconds to move. I rolled down my window and started slamming on the back of their truck while holding down my horn. I'm screaming. Finally they moved up a bit. I jumped out of the car and ran up to the fuck-wit's driver window... the guy is just staring at me. I actually had to tell him to roll the window down...like what...does my red, kicky hair-cut and sedate black Coach purse indicate I'm going to shank him or something?

Me: "Roll down the window, you ass-hat!!"
Fuck-wit: "What?"
Me:"You just hit my damn car!"
Fuck-wit: "No I didn't"
Me:"I beg to differ Captain Obvious, you just rolled back and hit my car"
Fuck-wit:"When?"
Me:"Last Thursday.... when do you think!? You friends with the people upstairs??"
Fuck-wit:"Uhhhh..."
Me:"Do you know where you just were? Are you drunk?"
Fuck-wit: "Um. "
Me:"OK... I'll take it up with them. They can give me your information."

I jump back into my car and pull way up to let the ass hat out. He jumps out and starts looking at my car with his friend. At this point, ass hat and his buddy start being really damn sweet.

"Hey, I'm sorry, I wasn't being malicious. I didn't realize that I had rolled back. Where is the car damaged?"
"I have no clue. It's 10pm, dark, and raining like a bitch. I'll look tomorrow."
"Umm.. ok. Look, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to upset you. If there's damage we can just trade insurance. "
"Ok. Give me your name and phone number".
"Ummm.."
(Seriously.... where did the "Umm" come from?! I so despise that in conversation).

SO... the shaved-head-ass-hats get going, I move back into my spot, and the people who live out back say NOTHING.

Now was it really nice that I parked behind his car? No. But did they honestly expect that I would trudge around to all the apartments late at night in the rain and start knocking asking who's in my spot? No. He was an idiot, not me.

So how hard is it to simply be considerate? Either the people living in that apartment should have told their friends they can't park there, or the guy should have come out when I beeped. And while on this rant, why the hell doesn't this guy who "manages" the apartment make sure people know to ONLY park in their assigned spots?! He had no problem chasing me down when he thought we had put our trash cans closer than 3 feet to his on trash day. He practically ran down the other tenants in the parking lot to tell them to make sure to leave that 3 feet space... yet he can't say "Hey, there's not visitor parking"?

Meh. I am seriously hating stupid people today.

0 comments: